Welcome to Argentina

“Portenos are Italians who speak Spanish, were educated by the British and want to be French”
Jorge Luis Borges (famous Argentinan writer)

...“The characteristics of a culture will gradually become evident as one becomes aware of the patterns of interaction between individuals (…) and various rituals of daily routines. As one explores the rationale for these aspects of culture, one usually finds that there are sound historical explanations for the way things are done.”
Gareth Morgan, 1998

Dienstag, 1. Juli 2008

Don't cross the tracks!

...because if you do, we cannot guarantee your safety.... this is what the police tells you in La Boca, a working class neighbourhood that also has a popular tourist area where you can see tango dancers on the street, colorful architecture and quite some police men walking around...
Well, and in fact, a colleague told me she saw how someone got robbed behind the tracks... so how is life behind those tracks?? I was standing there for a while just looking at the other sice of the fence...... strange feeling....
Well, I still feel safe in this city, and, at least, I do not even realize when I get robbed... my mobile phone got stolen yesterday and I noticed only today! (I am still not sure where it happened, I assume it was the metro.)

Heute mal zweisprachig:
Wenn man diese Schienen überquert ist man im nicht geschützten Teil der Stadt... das ist was die Polizei Dir erklärt in diesem Stadteil "La Boca". Hier gibt es viele Arbeiterfamilien und auch ein beliebtes Touristenzentrum mit Tangotänzern auf der Strasse, farbenfroher Architektur und eben einigen Polizisten, die herumwandern... und tatsächlich: eine Kollegin hat mir berichtet wie sie gesehen hat, dass mitten am Tag jemand überfallen wurde... Ich frage mich wie das Leben auf der anderen Seite der Schienen wohl ist. Ich stand eine ganze Weile da und es kam mir vor als würde ich in eine Fremde Welt blicken....
Na ja, ich fühl mich trotzdem recht sicher und bekomme wenigstens nicht mit, wenn ich überfallen werde und bemerke so auch erst 24h später, dass mein Handy gar nicht mehr da ist! (Bin immer noch nicht sicher wo genau es mir entwendet wurde, vermute in der U-Bahn.)

Keine Kommentare:

Argentinische Klänge